Acupuncture is using fine needles to stimulate sensory nerves in deep skin and muscles. It is believed that use of this kind of stimulation releases natural, body-produced, pain-controlling substances like endorphins.

Beautiful woman practicing acupuncture and enjoying

There is no relevant study showing that acupuncture is beneficial in acute back pain. It is sometimes used in chronic back pain problems, but results are controversial.


Is a part of alternative medicine, in particular of naturopathy, occupational therapy and physiotherapy, that involves the use of water for pain relief and treatment. Hydrotherapy can soothe sore or inflamed muscles and joints, rehabilitate injured limbs, lower fevers, soothe headaches, promote relaxation, treat burns and frostbite, ease labor pains, and clear up skin problems. The temperature of water used affects the therapeutic properties of the treatment.

Young woman exercise in crystal blue water - hidrotherapy

Spinal Corset and Support Belts

There is no scientific evidence that these treatments work, especially in acute back pain. However, these are sometimes used to prevent possible injury, in particular when one is exposed to frequent heavy weight lifting.

Young woman wearing spinal corset and support belts

TENS - Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation

Young woman uses small electrical currents to stimulate the painful area - Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation

Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation uses small electrical currents produced by a generator to stimulate the painful area.

It is not clear how this works. The theory is that this local electrical stimulation reduces the pain signals going to the spinal cord and brain. TENS may help by relaxing muscles, or it may stimulate the production of endorphins, which are the body´s natural painkillers.

There is no evidence to support TENS devices for pain control. It may work only as short-term pain relief in some cases. However, the method is considered safe. Before trying a TENS device, you should discuss this with your physician.